Besides some traditional dishes such as Phở, Hủ Tiếu Nam Vang, Bún mắm… Bánh mì is a typical Vietnamese food that must-try when you want to discover the uniqueness of Vietnamese cuisine.
It was first introduced to Vietnam in the early of 19th century when Vietnam was part of French Indochina and became a staple food by the early 20th century. During the 1950s, a distinctly Vietnamese style of sandwich developed in Ho Chi Minh, becoming a popular street food. it’s easy to find them on every street, in restaurants or trolleys on the road in Vietnam but no place does it better than its home town – Ho Chi Minh City.
What is unique about Banh Mi in Ho Chi Minh City?
The most popular is Bánh mì thịt (thịt meaning “meat”). Almost the same as everywhere in Vietnam, Bánh mì is often split lengthwise to create the area that is later filled with meats, a mix of Vietnamese herbs, accompanying vegetables, butter, one or two tablespoons of meat sauce, chili sauces, ham, pa-te…But in Ho Chi Minh city, there is nothing taste the same among different Bánh mì stalls. The primary taste is the sauce. The good sauce will be a nit condensed and smelly. Sauces are all homemade, so I can’t tell the exact recipe.
Furthermore, with thousands of options in this city, the customers can choose from a wide variety of meat (fried egg, grilled pork, pork roll, smashed pork meatballs, pork skin, grilled chicken, etc.
Even when you’re a vegetarian, you can order “ Bánh mì chay” which made with tofu, seitan, or butter cover with sugar.
Here is our best Banh Mi in Ho Chi Minh City from our local perspectives
1. Bánh mì Huỳnh Hoa
- Address: 26 Le Thi Rieng Street, Ben Thanh Ward, District 1.
- Open time: 15:00 – 22:00 pm
- Price: VND 45,000 ~ 60,000
2. Bánh mì Hòa Mã
- Address: 53 Cao Thang street, District 3.
- Open time: 07:00 – 10:00 am
- Price: VND 34,000 ~ 56,000
3. Bánh mì thịt nướng
- Address: alley 37 Nguyen Trai, District 1.
- Open time: 17:00 pm – 19:30 pm
- Price: VND 25,000
4. Bánh mì Hồng Hoa
- Address: 52 Nguyen Van Trang, District 1
- Open time: 08:00 – 22:00
- Price: VND 17,000 – 40,000
5. Bánh mì Chim Chạy
- Address: right at the main gate of Thai Binh market, District 1.
- Open time: 17:00 – 23:00 pm
- Price: VND 26,000
7. Bánh Mì 362
– 267 De Tham street, District 1
– 43 Dinh Tien Hoang, Ben Nghe Ward, District 1
– 25 Tran Cao Van Street, DaKao Ward, District 1
– 33 Thao Dien, District 2
– 55 Nguyen Duc Canh, Tan Phong Ward, District 1
- Open time: 6:00 – 21:00 pm
- Price: VND 30,000 ~ 45,000
In the end, i’m not so sure where is the best banh mi shop in Ho Chi Minh… it sort of depends on your feeling. So don’t forget to share with us your experience in Ho Chi Minh.