With an area of nearly 3,000m², Cần Thơ Museum is considered the largest museum in the Mekong Delta region. This is a place to display and introduce artifacts about the country and people of Cần Thơ through each historical period; introduce the socio-cultural-economic achievements of the Kinh, Hoa, Khmer… in the area in the process of nation-building – defending the country together with the current economic, defense, security, and social achievements.
Discover the attractions at Cần Thơ Museum
Cần Thơ Museum has several galleries, the most attractive and interesting places, which are certain questions that visitors are wondering. Let’s explore together!
1st floor: Displaying and recreating the natural and social characteristics of Cần Thơ
– Area for displaying and recreating the characteristics of weather – climate – people of Cần Thơ. This area introduces the location, land, climate, rivers, landscapes, flora, and fauna, … in Cần Thơ through vivid and beautiful photos and videos.
– Óc Eo culture exhibition area: this is considered the most important display area at Cần Thơ Museum. Óc Eo culture is an ancient culture that existed from the 1st century to the 7th century AD and it is one of the oldest cultures studied by many people. The artifacts on display at the museum are very rare, of high value in terms of research and archaeology, and are historical witnesses to a long-standing culture in the Southern region.
– Exhibition area of 3 ethnic groups Kinh – Hoa – Khmer: this exhibition area mainly recreates artifacts related to the life, culture, activities as well as beliefs of 3 ethnic groups in Cần Thơ: Kinh – Hoa – Khmer. In the area displaying artifacts of the Kinh ethnic group in the past, there is a model of the Bình Thủy communal house, ancient agricultural tools, ancient coins, wedding customs, costumes, 3-room house model, Đờn Ca Tài Tử…
The display area of the Hoa people has many items close to life such as musical instruments, drugstores, and traditional costumes.
Finally, the Khmer ethnic display area will give visitors the space for games, ethnic musical instruments, beliefs, and lively families.
2nd floor: Display of artifacts related to the anti-French and anti-American period
Located on the 2nd floor of Cần Thơ Museum, this is an exhibition area for photos and artifacts such as guns, sticks, spears, and clothes during the resistance wars against the US and France of the people of Cần Thơ and Hậu Giang. Here, you can not only admire these artifacts but also hear the heroic and resilient stories of the people of the South during the two great resistance wars of the Vietnamese nation.
The Cần Thơ Museum is a perfect place for tourist who wants to learn about the history and culture of the South, and the unique combination of cultural achievements of 3 ethnic groups: Khmer, Hoa and Kinh.
Cần Thơ Museum
- Location: Hòa Bình avenue, Tân An, Ninh Kiều, Cần Thơ.
- Best for: Family, couple, solo.
- Opening Hours: Daily 08:00 – 17:00
- Other tourist spots nearby: Bình Thủy temple, Phong Điền floating market, Bằng Lăng stork sanctuary, Trúc Lâm Phương Nam Monastery, Bình Thủy ancient, Cái Răng floating market…